COVID-19 SAFETY PLAN
1. Risk Assessment
The Covid-19 is spread by droplets from the coughing or sneezing of an infected person or when someone touches a contaminated surface and then touches their face. The risks of transmitting the virus increases with prolonged close personal contact or coming into contact with contaminated surfaces.
The risks in our school setting include common areas where people gather in the school including the lobby, the common area and the individual classrooms.
Areas that are likely to be touched often include light switches, elevator buttons, tables, chairs and microwaves in the common area, desks and chairs in the classroom and door handles, washroom stall doors, toilet and urinal flushes, faucets and counter surfaces in the washrooms.
2. Risk Reduction Protocols
In order to mitigate the risk of spreading the Covid-19 virus among students and staff, the following protocols will be implemented:
- All persons entering the school will be screened for high temperatures and other symptoms such as chills, a new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, muscles aches or headache before being permitted entrance. Anyone exhibiting symptoms will be prevented from entering and asked to call 811 for guidance.
- All students, parents and guardians will self-quarantine for a period of 14 days upon entering British Columbia from abroad.
- Although the total number of staff and students employed and enrolled at the school is less than 120, the designated maximum number of students for a learning group as deemed by provincial health officers, the number of students allowed in each class will be limited to ensure that students will be able to maintain safe physical distancing as much as possible.
- Occupancy limits have been posted in washrooms and elevators.
- All staff and students will be expected to wear personal protective facial marks at all times while on school grounds.
- All staff and students will be encouraged to sanitize their hands frequently while on school property.
- All classroom desks and chairs will be sanitized after each class. Common areas and washrooms will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized twice daily.
- Signage will be posted throughout the school reminding staff and students to wash their hands properly and frequently.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please consult a staff member at the school or contact WorkSafeBC’s Prevention Intervention Line at 604-276-3100.
COVID-19 COMMUNICATION PLAN
- Staff will be reminded that all health and safety measures are still in place and to review the school’s Covid-19 Safety Plan prior to the commencement of the 2020-21 school year on September 11, 2020.
- Copies of the school’s Covid-19 Safety Plan will be posted throughout the school and on the school’s website.
- Staff and students will be notified of any updates or new information immediately. The principal will keep administration staff and teachers up to date and teachers will convey any updates to their students as required.
- Parents and/or guardians will be asked to check the website regularly for any updates or new information related to Covid-19.
- If any member of the school community including staff, students, parents and guardians exhibits any symptoms of having Covid-19, they are encouraged to use the BC Covid-19 Self-Assessment Tool on the B.C. Centre for Disease Control’s website (bccdc.ca).
- In the event that a member of the school community including staff, students, parents and guardians has been confirmed to have contracted Covid-19, they must contact Vancouver Coastal Health at 604-736-2033 (firstname.lastname@example.org).